Advancement Project’s National Office seeks a communicator to serve as a Communications Associate. This position is based in Advancement Project’s National Office in Washington DC and executes communications tactics under the supervision of the Senior Communications Associate, Deputy Director of Communications and Managing Director of Communications.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, we exist to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. We use innovative tools and strategies in conjunction with strong community alliances to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change. We combine law, communications, policy, and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We change the national discourse on race to provide opportunities for breakthroughs on racism. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
The Communications Associate is responsible for supporting program communications by writing communications material, creating social medial content and assisting with departmental and external partner communication initiatives and activities in the areas of voting rights, immigrant justice, criminal justice, ending the school-prison-pipeline and education justice.
- Draft content for traditional media such as media advisories, press releases, e-advocacy email messages, petitions, blog entries, opinion editorials, statements and graphic content.
- Compose social media updates and make recommendations for blog and newsletter content and graphic design.
- Occasionally manage Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Draft website content including press statements and blogs, and post to WordPress website.
- Monitor media coverage and public opinion of relevant topics, and maintain current knowledge of communications by partners and national ally organizations regarding issues of interest.
- Work closely with internal teams (communications, program and development) to implement planned strategies, special projects and events.
- Maintain press lists and media contacts, as well as cultivating relationships with local, national media contacts.
- Support grassroots and national partner communications needs, including developing and implementing strategies, providing on-site support and training.
- Develop and implement pitching strategies for media projects in close coordination with supervisor.
- Contribute to the development of marketing and public relations strategies and materials.
- Lead, co-lead special projects e.g., content initiatives or events.
- Collaborate with program teams to assist in the implementation of communications plans, including reports.
- Maintain working knowledge of programmatic issues, internal policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the overall success of the communications team.
- Three to five years’ experience in a similar position and/or performing similar tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ability to travel frequently locally, regionally and nationally.
- Ability to periodically work evenings and occasionally work weekends, as needed.
EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING A PLUS:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- EveryAction / NGP Van
- Cision PR Software
OTHER EVALUATION CRITERIA
- Working knowledge of communications best practices, and policy changes and legislative movements in the assigned program and project areas, as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to advocate and communicate with authority.
- Advanced writing skills and a desire to continually develop these skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas, as well as compose accurate, effective, and grammatically correct materials for the intended audience.
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in the context of a variety of situations with multiple variables, both predictable and unpredictable.
- Ability to manage a high volume of tasks at one time, including organizing and prioritizing workload.
- Ability to make sound and timely informed decisions in complex situations.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimum direction, collaborate with a team.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, including pro-actively identifying, addressing issues, and making recommendations.
- Ability to demonstrate a high attention to detail.
- Strong basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook and other applicable communications software programs.
Successful applicants at Advancement Project must demonstrate a commitment to racial justice.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
HOW TO APPLY
Advancement Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter with salary expectations, their resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references to [email protected] Reference “Communications Associate” in the subject line.