Democracy on the Ropes
On April 7, 2021, Advancement Project National Office hosted Democracy on the Ropes, a special conversation with voting rights and racial justice leaders, on the intersections of voter suppression and the criminalization of protest. Held during the National #ForThePeople Week of Action, panelists explored how states have attempted to silence communities of color at the ballot box and in the streets. At least 43 states have advanced legislation making it harder to vote. In the last six months, states have also introduced 85 bills criminalizing freedom of assembly and restricting First Amendment. Speakers highlighted the organizing strategies, litigation and tools required to combat this attack on democracy.
Guest speakers included:
- Ari Berman, National Voting Rights Journalist; Author of Give Us the Ballot
- Kathy Boockvar, Former Secretary of State of Pennsylvania
- Nse Ufot, Executive Director, New Georgia Project
- Rachel Gilmer, Co-Director, Dream Defenders
- Thomas B. Harvey, Justice Project Director, Advancement Project National Office
The session was moderated by Advancement Project National Office Executive Director Judith Browne Dianis.