Deputy Director of Communications
Classification: Full-time, Administrative and Professional Staff, Exempt Position
Advancement Project’s National Office seeks a knowledgeable Deputy Director of Communications who will assist in developing and executing communication strategies for assigned programs and projects. This position is based in Advancement Project’s National Office in Washington DC and reports directly to the Managing Director of Communications.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, we exist to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. We use innovative tools and strategies in conjunction with strong community alliances to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change. We combine law, communications, policy, and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We change the national discourse on race to provide opportunities for breakthroughs on racism. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
The Deputy Director of Communications establishes and executes communications strategies, builds relationships with and supports internal and external partners, collaborates with other teams on the management and planning of communications efforts and provides leadership and management within the communications team
Description of Duties
- Design and implement communications strategies for assigned programs and projects.
- Contribute to identifying long and short-term communications objectives for the organization as a whole.
- Manage communications-related work for unplanned advocacy interventions, policies and requests for narratives.
- Attend conferences and other networking events relative to organization’s mission and communications industry.
- Support and maintains positive relationships with relevant partners and allies related to associated portfolios.
- Advocate for the organization’s participation at high exposure events, such as conferences, panels and high-level interviews.
- Support partner groups with communications strategy requests and short-term tactical needs
- Produce and disseminate communications content for assigned program and projects.
- Collaborate with other teams on the management and planning of communications efforts and support any number of special projects related to communications, as needed.
- Assist Executive Director with speech writing, developing talking points and other communications as requested.
- Coordinate with other internal teams on setting communication strategies related to the organizational mission and their teams work.
- Lead team meetings and coordinate team-wide activities.
- Directly manage assigned team members, including training, assigning and directing work, and providing performance feedback.
- Provide input into annual performance reviews, employee discipline, employee development, and addressing employee
- Participate in team recruitment efforts, including interviewing and making hiring recommendations.
- Disseminate, implement and enforce organization and team standards, policies, and procedures, including providing proper guidance to those carrying out related duties.
- Assist with developing and executing plans and strategies to meet team goals and objectives.
- Assist with establishing budget for to accomplish communications work initiatives.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
Other Relevant Skills
- Maintain advanced working knowledge of newsroom environments, news pitching and writing, press release writing and opinion editorial writing, communications best practices, cross-programmatic policy changes and legislative movements, as well as internal policies and procedures
- Manage a high volume of tasks at one time, including organizing and prioritizing own work and the work of others.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to advocate and communicate with authority
- Advanced working knowledge of social media platforms, media distribution software and Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
Successful applicants at Advancement Project must demonstrate a commitment to racial justice.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter with salary expectations, their resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references to [email protected] Reference “Deputy Director of Communications” in the subject line.
Advancement Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer