Enshrining A #RightToVote in the U.S. Constitution
For nearly two decades, Advancement Project National Office has championed an affirmative and explicit #RightToVote Amendment.
On August 4, 2020, Senators Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Dick Durbin (D-IL) introduced a historic joint resolution to amend the U.S. Constitution to enshrine an affirmative and explicit right to vote.
The Durbin-Warren #RightToVote Amendment would:
- Guarantee the fundamental right to vote in all public elections to each citizen of legal voting age.
- Ensure that the right to vote of formerly incarcerated individuals and returning citizens is the same as the right to vote of all other citizens.
- Place an enormous burden on states to defend each and every barrier they might hope to impose on the franchise.
- Create Congressional power to protect the fundamental right to vote through legislation.
Read the Joint Resolution proposing the Durbin-Warren #RightToVote Amendment.
Read Advancement Project National Office’s statement of endorsement.
Sign Advancement Project National Office’s Petition For A #RightToVote Amendment.
Additional Resources on the Durbin-Warren #RightToVote Amendment:
- Dear Colleague Letter, written by Senator Warren and Senator Durbin, July 24, 2020.
- Legal Analysis of the Durbin-Warren Right to Vote Amendment, written by Professor Franita Tolson, July 2020.
Additional General Resources on the #RightToVote Amendment:
- Bring On the 28th Amendment: Efforts by Trump and his allies to suppress the vote are only part of the problem, written by Professor Rick Hasen, June 29, 2020.
- “What Would John Lewis Think?” Free and Fair with Franita and Foley, Podcast, July 27, 2020.
- Testimony in favor of a #RightToVote Amendment before the 2016 DNC Platform Committee, by Judith Browne Dianis, Executive Director, Advancement Project National Office, June 16, 2016.
- Testimony in favor of a #RightToVote Amendment before the 2016 DNC Platform Committee, by Bob Moses, former member of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Commitee, June 16, 2016.
- In Pursuit Of An Affirmative Right To Vote, A Strategic Report, by Advancement Project National Office, July 2008.