Human Resources Manager
Advancement Project’s National Office seeks a knowledgeable talent management expert with labor relations management experience to serve as Human Resources Manager. This position is based in Advancement Project’s National Office in Washington DC.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, we exist to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. We use innovative tools and strategies in conjunction with strong community alliances to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change. We combine law, communications, policy, and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We change the national discourse on race to provide opportunities for breakthroughs on racism. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
The Human Resources Manager is responsible for managing the strategic, operational and administrative planning of human resources policies, procedures and programs, including workforce planning and employment, human resource development, total rewards, employee and labor relations, and risk management. The Human Resources Manager ensures organizational compliance and adaptation of human resources best practices.
- Manage strategic human resources program and execute related plans and project initiatives.
- Ensure organizational compliance with federal and local employment law.
- Research and develop company policies and standard operating procedures for internal human resources programs, employment policy and training.
- Prepare and analyze a variety of reports, plans and presentations on human resources operations to communicate information, ensure budgetary compliance and measure utilization for various audiences.
- Manage the full lifecycle of recruitment and selection process including job posting, sourcing, interviewing, pre-employment screening, selection and hiring.
- Direct all aspects of the new hire orientation and onboarding program including new-hire training, employment documentation compliance and entry into the human resources information systems.
- Assist in directing all aspects of employee training and professional development.
- Manage performance management system, individual performance improvement plans, and retention plans.
- Manage employee classification process and compensation management systems, ensure accurate job descriptions, performs competitive market wage analysis and administer the salary structure including various aspects of base pay and variable pay.
- Reviews utilization of total rewards program, advises on opportunities for enhancement and ensures all benefits are administered equitably.
- Lead handling and resolution of all employee and labor relations complaints and issues in accordance with employment law, policy and collective bargaining agreement to ensure positive working environment and mitigate employer liability in consultation with General Counsel and external legal counsel, as needed.
- Manage employee engagement, recognition and satisfaction efforts, progressive discipline counseling, employment separation processes and off-boarding program for organizational exit.
- Administer all organizational occupational health, safety and security programs including aspects of workers compensation, OSHA standards training and reporting compliance, disaster preparedness and contingency plans.
- Identify need for, develop, modify, and maintain team policies, procedures and other guidance documents, including incorporating best practices, and addressing changes in employment law regulations and industry practices.
- Disseminate, implement, and enforce organization and team standards, policies, and procedures, including providing proper guidance to those carrying out related duties.
- 5 to 10 years’ experience in a similar position, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree highly preferred.
- At least three years’ experience managing people.
- Ability to occasionally travel locally, and occasionally regionally and nationally.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends, as needed.
OTHER EVALUATION CRITERIA
- Skilled with advanced working knowledge of relevant employment laws, best practices for union negotiation and labor relations management, and best practices and trends in human resources management, as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and apply various employment laws, collective bargaining agreements, or internal polices to ensure effective and efficient human resources best practices.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality, emotional intelligence, empathy, negotiation and facilitation skills as well as transactional communication and active listening skills.
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in the context of a variety of situations with multiple variables, both predictable and unpredictable.
- Ability to manage a high volume of tasks at one time
- Ability to work independently with minimum direction while also working as part of a team and collaborating with others.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, including pro-actively identifying and addressing issues and making recommendations.
- Ability to demonstrate a high attention to detail.
- Skilled with advanced working knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, HRIS, compensation and payroll management systems and other internet based programs.
Successful applicants at Advancement Project must demonstrate a commitment to racial justice.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
HOW TO APPLY
Advancement Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter with salary expectations, their resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references to [email protected] Reference “Human Resources Manager” in the subject line.