Senior Staff Accountant
Advancement Project’s National Office seeks an experienced analytical person to serve as Senior Staff Accountant. This position is based in Advancement Project’s National Office in Washington DC, and executes accounting functions under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multiracial civil rights organization. Rooted in the great human rights struggles for equality and justice, we exist to fulfill America’s promise of a caring, inclusive, and just democracy. We use innovative tools and strategies in conjunction with strong community alliances to strengthen social movements and achieve high impact policy change. We combine law, communications, policy and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We change the national discourse on race to provide opportunities for breakthroughs on racism. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for supporting the efforts of the finance, operations, and information technology department in the Advancement Project’s National Office and management of staff.
- Implement all bookkeeping and accounting functions, including but not limited to: payroll, cash disbursements, cash receipts, journal entries, financial reports and bank reconciliations.
- Manage 403b enrollment and reconcile plan matching allocations against processed payroll
- Enforce proper accounting methods, policies and principles, identify areas of efficiency and proactively provide recommendations for process improvement.
- Prepare accurate schedules for annual audit and budget.
- Maintain organized, accurate and secure accounting and finance files, including but not limited to: performing rigorous quality control on accounting records and ensuring accurate inventory records are maintained by program teams.
- Manage and implement all contractual invoicing for services provided by the organization to third parties. -Provide back-up support for accounting/bookkeeping activities, including indirect cost submissions. -Support agency‐wide organizational development and ensure adherence to agency-wide goals and policies within the program area, as needed.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice required.
- 7+ years of accounting and/or bookkeeping experience, including bank reconciliation and accounts payable/receivable processing, preferably in a non-profit setting. Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in a related field preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties may be considered including supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with mathematical concepts such as statistical inference.
- Demonstrated ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Demonstrated capacity to juggle and manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated success in delivering high-quality work product on a consistent, reliable basis in a fast-paced work environment with ambitious goals.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and scope.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, facilitation and presentation skills, including experience translating technical analyses into compelling advocacy messages especially preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a small team setting.
- Excellent computer skills, proficient with MS Office applications (i.e. Excel) and financial accounting software.
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to execute projects on-time and on-budget.
- Must be able to travel locally and statewide.
Advancement Project is a progressive, multi-racial non-profit environment.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter with salary expectations, their resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references to [email protected]. Reference “Senior Staff Accountant” in the subject line.
Advancement Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.