Staff Attorney (Opportunity to Learn Program)
EDUCATION STAFF ATTORNEY
Advancement Project seeks a creative problem solver, strong advocate, and skilled attorney in its Washington D.C. office to serve as a Staff Attorney in our Opportunity to Learn Program.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. We tackle inequity with innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington, DC and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
The Staff Attorney will work to address the “School-to-Prison Pipeline,” namely the over-use of suspensions and arrests that push students – and especially students of color – out of school and into the juvenile and criminal justice systems. The position will also include working to secure education inequity. Advancement Project has been a pioneer in reforming school disciplinary models to prevent the push out of young people. Through state and local campaigns with grassroots partners, we have reduced suspensions, expulsions and the criminalization of young people of color leading to improved educational outcomes. We have also done groundbreaking work to challenge school closings in communities of color and privatization efforts that exacerbate education inequity.
- The Staff Attorney will be expected to work closely with grassroots organizations representing communities of color, including youth organizers, around the country.
- The Staff Attorney will be expected to use a variety of legal, policy, communications, and coalition-building strategies to assist our community partners.
- State bar membership (must be member of or able to waive into DC Bar);
- Two to five years legal experience, education related is a plus;
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice;
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills;
- Interest in working with grassroots organizations;
- Willingness to travel;
- Willingness to work in other program areas, as needed.
- Fluency in Spanish, organizing experience, litigation experience, and coalition- building experiences are pluses.
Advancement Project seeks a goal-oriented, creative, energetic, and committed professional to occupy this role in our progressive, multi-racial non-profit environment. This position is based in Advancement Project’s National Office in Washington D.C. and operates under the direct supervision of the Program Director & Senior Attorney – Opportunity to Learn Program
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package included.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter with salary expectations, their resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references to [email protected]. Reference “Staff Attorney – Opportunity to Learn ” in the subject line.
Advancement Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.